This past Thursday, I competed in a live Style-Off for Project Style in Pittsburgh. It was hosted by the Robinson Mall and was INTENSE. First of all, I’ve never been a competitive person. Somehow, I found a part of myself that was determined to win and it basically enveloped every other part of me. I was so excited and prepared by looking though magazines, shopping around the mall beforehand, and of course trying everything on (which I never do).
Here’s how it went down:
- You arrive in the outfit you were wearing in the previous round.
- You are given a $200 gift card to the mall to shop for a new outfit
- There’s a twist! Each one of us were given an accessory that we had to incorporate into our outfits. Mine was a cheetah scarf I used as a shirt
- Put on your outfit and RUN back to the stage to show it off. Answer a few questions and you’re done!
- THE PRIZE: If I won this, I would receive $1000 to shop and a chance to move onto the next round of Project Style: a national competition with a prize of going to NY Fashion Week.
Before I continue, I need to say this:
Shoes: Forever 21
Pants: Forever 21
Shirt: Made from a cheetah print scarf
On My Feet: I have spiked bracelets from both Aldo and Charlotte Russe. Put them on your ankle for a little extra oomph
On My Hand: Studded Bracelet from Forever 21. My bag is from Aldo
Jacket: The jacket itself is from Forever 21. To add a little something extra, I grabbed some stud earrings from Aldo and stuck them on the pockets.
Necklace and Earrings: I wore Forever 21 jewelry. The necklace is wrapped around my neck to add layering. I have two sets of earrings on
Hair and Makeup: DONE BY ME!!
What I Learned: I had the most awesome outfit I’ve ever put together. Even though I didn’t win, I felt like I did. My whole family was there to support me, and I know that I’ll still make it big in fashion. I did some DIY, had the greatest hair there, and bought leather tuxedo pants all in one night. How could I be sad?
Outfit Inspiration: For those of you who will sit here and read all of this, here you go. I knew going in to the competition what I wanted to wear. First of all, tuxedo pants. I’ve always wanted a Tom Ford women’s tuxedo. It’s classic style and looks so chic if you do it right. Second of all, I love retro. So I knew I had to somehow put that little bit of style in there. That’s how the hair and makeup came to be.
PS: Congratulations to Anna, Leslie, and Anna for winning each of their rounds. Their outfits were awesome. This was a search for the next Trendsetter and their outfits all showed off how they’re wearing what they love in fashion.